Clinics & Services
We have a team of experienced and highly trained practice nurses who run a comprehensive and dynamic service covering health promotion, disease prevention, minor injuries/wound management, chronic disease management and women's health. An appointment with a nurse rather than a GP may be suitable for patients requiring chronic disease monitoring. In addition there are daily appointments reserved for emergencies. You may refer yourself directly to the nurse or the doctor may refer you.
Family Planning/Well Woman
- Emergency contraception/morning-after pill - if you think that you may require this service please contact the surgery as soon as possible. The longer you leave it, the less effective it will be.
- Smear Testing
- Advice on all types of contraception
- Advice regarding breast examination
- Pre-conceptual advice
- Screening for high blood pressure/cholesterol/heart disease.
- Follow-up of stable patients with heart disease.
- Well person screening/education.
- Weight monitoring.
- Advice on stopping smoking.
- Referral for exercise/rehabilitation programmes.
- Screening for diabetes.
- Follow-up and care of all diabetic patients.
- Re-authorising medication.
Asthma/ COPD Clinic
- Screening for asthma/COPD.
- Care and education of all asthmatic/COPD patients.
- Lung function testing.
- Re-authorisation of asthma/COPD medication.
- For advice on stopping smoking telephone 0800 085 2917.
- Advice and support for giving up smoking.
- Prescribing of nicotine replacement medication.
- During surgery hours by appointment.
- Please arrange an appointment with a nurse first to discuss requirements.
- General advice on foreign travel.
- Appropriate vaccinations and certificates.
- Malaria prevention.
- Please try to ensure plenty of time to complete courses of vaccination before travel
- Not all vaccinations for exotic destinations are available on the NHS, please check charges with Reception or Nurses.
Child Immunisation/Baby Clinic
- All childhood immunisations
- Catch-up programmes for children who have missed vaccinations for any reason
- Advice for parents with any concerns over vaccines
Flu/Pneumonia Vaccination Clinics - am/pm Seasonal (September onwards)
- Rapid service for vaccination only
- Recommended for all over 65s, all those with heart disease, diabetes, asthma/chest problems, kidney disease, absent spleen and all those taking high doses of steroid tablets or undergoing chemotherapy
- These are necessary for all patients with ongoing treatment or medication
- Please remember to book these appointments, as it is not possible to send reminders
- Six-monthly reviews are carried out on patients receiving medication for blood pressure, diabetes , asthma and some other conditions
- Patients who have not had a consultation in the past three years may arrange to see a practice nurse for a check up
- Equipment is provided in the surgery for patients to check their own height, weight and blood pressure. Please enquire at reception for details and please let the receptions know your results.
We do a lot of this!.
If you regularly need your ears syringing, please remember to soften the wax with olive oil drops for at least a week before attending. This makes it much easier for us and more comfortable for you.
- Please make an appointments with the nurse as instructed by your surgeon.
Dressings - Wound Care/Minor Injury
- Please make an appointment to see the nurse.
- We do not do routine pregnancy testing here except in special circumstances.
- If you think you may have a bladder infection, please make an appointment and bring a clean fresh sample with you if possible.
- Make sure it is in an appropriate bottle and clearly labelled. (Bottles are available from reception)
- If you send a sample in, please give a contact telephone number so that the nurse is able to reach you.
Warfarin Monitoring Clinic
- Held Wednesday and Friday Mornings at Lordswood.
- This service is available to all our patients on warfarin as well as any patients in South Birmingham who wish to come to us on it.
- We use the quick and instant finger prick test for this. Please ask you Doctor for details.
Phlebotomy Service (Walk-in Bloods)
All our bloods are done in a walk-in clinic. You do not need an appointment for this service.
Please check the clinic times under Opening Times.